The moment you find out you’re pregnant, your mind starts racing with plans, questions, and things to Google. And at some point, you’ll need to ask when to take maternity photos. After all, you won’t even look pregnant for at least the first three months!
So we’re here to answer your questions and give you some tips for getting your dream maternity photo shoot!
When to take maternity photos?
It’s best to take maternity photos at 28-34 weeks pregnant – the beginning to middle of the third trimester. At this point, you have a lovely and round bump, but you won’t be feeling swollen and uncomfortable.
Exceptions to the rule.
While the beginning of the third trimester is usually the best time for maternity photos, there are a few exceptions.
- If you’re having multiples. Your bump will be on full display much earlier, so you take maternity photos at 26 weeks – the end of the second trimester or early in the third.
- If you’re petite. If you’re petite, your bump may be a lot more protrusive by the third trimester. It may be a good idea to aim to take maternity photos at 28 weeks.
- If you have a high-risk pregnancy. If your pregnancy is considered high risk, take your photos as early as you can see your bump. Aim to take maternity photos at 30 weeks. This is because you might go into labor early, or be put on bedrest.
How do I prepare to take maternity photos?
Make sure to moisturize your skin – especially your belly – on the days leading up to your photo shoot. Otherwise, make sure you are well-rested, and have a good haircut. Then do your hair and makeup as you see fit. You’ll cherish those maternity photos forever!
What should I wear for my maternity photos?
Make sure you wear something that’s comfortable but accentuates your bump. Stick to solids, and avoid busy patterns. If your family will be in the photo shoot, make sure your outfits work together, and nobody sticks out.
Decide in advance if your photos will be fun, natural, sexy, or ethereal, and pick some outfits to suit the mood. Your photographer might have some accessories to help.
How do I find a good maternity photographer?
You can’t go wrong if you go with a photographer who specializes in maternity photos, as they know how to hone in on your bump, will make sure you’re comfortable every step of the way.
If you don’t have a recommendation from a friend, scroll through instagram with #maternityphotos and your city.
Photographers love to share their work, and you can decide if their style suits you.
Why should I take maternity photos?
Some women deride “I don’t get maternity photo shoots” while others don’t want to appear self-indulgent. But if you’re on the fence about getting maternity photos, consider this:
- You might regret it if you don’t. There’s no going back to this special time, so you might as well do it.
- Your kids will thank you. Your family will treasure these photos as they grow up.
- It’s a way to celebrate your pregnancy. Each stage in your life deserves to be commemorated. What better way to celebrate your pregnancy than to take maternity photos?
How to take maternity photos at home?
If you want to take maternity photos, you should go all out and hire a photographer! They’ll make sure your bump comes out in the best light.
However, if you’re really set on taking them at home, here are a few tips:
- It’s best to take maternity photos at 28-34 weeks pregnant.
- Take your maternity photos standing. Sitting may make your bump look “squished.”
- Make sure you have great, natural lighting
- Photos should be taken from the side or at three quarters to accentuate the bump
- The camera should be at bump-level for best photos
Aim for classic maternity poses like:
- Child kissing bump
- Dad kissing or holding bump
- Mom looking down
- Hands on bump
- Cute baby booties on bump
- Mom’s silhouette
- Fun photos with mom and dad’s bellies
Here’s some maternity photo shoot inspiration
FAQ – When to take maternity photos
How far along should you be for maternity pictures?
When it comes to taking maternity photos, early to mid third trimester (28-34 weeks) is best for most women. Your bump looks amazing, and you still feel great.
Is 30 weeks too early for maternity pictures?
30 weeks is the perfect time for maternity photos. This is when you have a nice and round belly, but don’t feel bloated and tired.
What week is best for maternity photos?
Anytime between 28 and 34 weeks pregnant is a great time to take maternity photos for most moms.
Is 27 weeks too early for maternity pictures?
27 weeks pregnant may mean that your bump is not “full enough” for maternity photos. Unless you’re pregnant with multiples or are petite, 28-34 weeks pregnant is the best.