Mothers day is truly magical for moms. Even in her most exhausted or exasperated moment, all she truly wants is for her family to get how much she cares. And if you think you can’t find the right words to express your love and gratitude – perhaps you can find the right message amongst these Mothers Day quotes.
Whether you need something light or profound to wish your mom Happy Mothers Day, chances are another wise soul has uttered exactly what you wish to say.
Get more Mother’s Day resources including images, coloring pages, GIFs, quotes, and different Mother’s Day gift guides on our Mother’s Day resource page!
- Influential and Historical Figures Quotes on Mothers
- Sweet And Thoughtful Happy Mothers Day Quotes
- Funny Happy Mothers Day Quotes
- Celebrity Mothers Day Quotes
Influential and Historical Figures’ Mothers Day Quotes
Whether they’re expressing their own mother’s influence, or how they’re influenced by being a mother, you’re sure to find the right words amongst these mothers day quotes from the likes of Mark Twain and Abraham Lincoln.
- “Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.” —George Eliot
- “My mother is so full of joy and life. I am her child. And that is better than being the child of anyone else in the world.” – Maya Angelou
- “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” —Princess Diana
- “I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” —Abraham Lincoln
- “If I have done anything in life worth attention, I feel sure that I inherited the disposition from my mother.” – Booker T. Washington
- “My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.” — Mark Twain
- “All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” —Abraham Lincoln
- “My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.” —George Washington
- “Mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled.” —Emily Dickinson
- “I tell my kids, ‘I am thinking about you every other minute of my day.’” —Michelle Obama
- “My parents elected me president of the family when I was 4. We actually had an election every year and I always won. I’m an only child, and I could count on my mother’s vote.” – Condoleezza Rice
- “Men are what their mothers made them.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.” —Maya Angelou
- “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” – Mother Teresa
- “We are born of love; Love is our mother.” – Rumi
- “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” – Cardinal Meymillod
- “A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” – Agatha Christie
Sweet And Thoughtful Happy Mothers Day Quotes
There truly are no words to describe the beauty of a mother’s love. But these quotes do come close.
- “The most precious jewels you’ll ever have around your neck are the arms of your children.”
- “Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws.” – Barbara Kingsolver
- “A mother is always the beginning. She is how things begin.”
- “Mother: the most beautiful word on the lips of mankind.” —Kahil Gibran
- “Mothers and their children are in a category all their own. There’s no bond so strong in the entire world. No love so instantaneous and forgiving.” —Gail Tsukiyama
- “The best place to cry is on a mother’s arms.” —Jodi Picoult
- “There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.” —Jill Churchill
- “I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Mitch Albom
- “I am sure that if the mothers of various nations could meet, there would be no more wars.” — E. M. Forster
- “Mother’s love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.” – Erich Fromm
- “God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers.” – Jewish Proverb
- “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A. A. Milne
- “Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.” —William Makepeace Thackeray
- “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
- “In the mother’s eyes, her smile, her stroking touch, the child reads the message: ‘You are there!’” —Adrienne Rich
- “The mother’s heart is the child’s school-room.” —Henry Ward Beecher
- “Mothers can look through a child’s eyes and see tomorrow.” —Reed Markham
Funny Happy Mothers Day Quotes
If you and your mom have always kept it fun and light, and you couldn’t dream of quoting Rumi or Mother Teresa to wish her happy mothers day, then perhaps these mothers day quotes are a bit more up your alley.
- “Any mother could perform the jobs of several air-traffic controllers with ease.” —Lisa Alther
- “A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” —Tenneva Jordan
- “I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then, I want to move in with them.” —Phyllis Diller
- “There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it.” —Chinese Proverb
- “Nothing is really lost until your mom can’t find it.”
- “Sooner or later, we all quote our mothers.”
- “Everybody wants to save the Earth; nobody wants to help Mom do the dishes.” —P.J. O’Rourke
- “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.” —Jane Sellman
- “Life doesn’t come with a manual. It comes with a mother.”
- “All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.” – Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest
- “You know you’re a mom when you understand why mama bear’s porridge was cold.”
- “Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.”
- “Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children!” – Sam Levenson
- “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” – Milton Berle
- “If at first you don’t succeed, try doing it the way mom told you in the beginning.”
- “Ma-ma does everything for the baby, who responds by saying Da-da first.” – Mignon McLaughlin
Celebrity Mothers Day Quotes
And of course, you can count on pop culture to say exactly what everyone’s thinking – at least when it comes to finding the perfect mothers day quotes.
- “My mother is a walking miracle.” —Leonardo DiCaprio
- “As my mom always said, ‘You’d rather have smile lines than frown lines.’” —Cindy Crawford
- “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” —Sophia Loren
- “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.” —Michael Jordan
- “Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.” —Stevie Wonder
- “Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.” —Meryl Streep
- “She raised us with humor, and she raised us to understand that not everything was going to be great—but how to laugh through it.” —Liza Minnelli
- “Having children just puts the whole world into perspective. Everything else just disappears.” —Kate Winslet
- “When you’re dying laughing because your three-year-old made a fart joke, it doesn’t matter what else is going on. That’s real happiness.” —Gwyneth Paltrow
- “Sometimes, when I want to take on the world, I try to remember that it’s just as important to sit down and ask my son how he’s feeling or talk to him about life.” —Angelina Jolie
- “I know how to do anything – I’m a mom.” – Roseanne Barr
- “There were times when, in middle school and junior high, I didn’t have a lot of friends. But my mom was always my friend. Always.” —Taylor Swift
- “Having kids—the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings—is the biggest job anyone can embark on.” – Maria Shriver
How should you use these Happy Mothers Day quotes?
If you found the perfect mothers day quote, it would be sweet and meaningful to write it on a card to express how you feel. Of course, you could also send a quick text or email, but be sure to follow up with a real phone call to say I love you.
Why are mothers day quotes special?
Some people find it hard to express exactly how they feel towards their mother. Looking through mothers day quotes can help you find the right words.
Final Words – Happy Mothers Day Quotes
Did any of these Mothers Day quotes resonate with you? Are there any extra-special ones that we missed? We’d love to know!