As if your new mom fatigue isn’t real enough, you’re now faced with decision fatigue too! If you’ve ever stood in the infant formula aisle of the grocery store, you were probably hypnotized by the number of options! How in the world are you supposed to know what you need?
Well, at least with this one tiny decision – which Enfamil formula – we’re here to break it down.
If you want the final verdict on the Enfamil Infant vs Gentlease battle, scroll to the bottom. Otherwise, here’s our full comparison review.
Enfamil Infant vs Gentlease.
The main difference is that the Enfamil Gentlease formula is designed to be easy to digest and cause less gas and spit-up which means less fussiness. The Enfamil Infant formula is great if your baby is not fussy after feeding.
|Nutrients, vitamins, and minerals||Similar in both formulas|
|Non-GMO||Enfamil Infant only|
|Vitamin D content||Enfamil Infant is slightly higher|
|Gentle digestion||Enfamil Gentlease|
What’s the same?
- Both Enfamil Infant and Gentlease offer Omega-3 DHA (needed for brain development) in their formulas.
- Both Enfamil formulas have similar iron, calcium, protein, carbohydrate, and fat composition, and a similar composition in vitamins and minerals.
- Both Enfamil Infant and Gentlease come in liquid and powder formulas, and can be bought in single-use packets or in bulk from the Enfamil website.
- Both Enfamil Infant and Gentlease are easy to dissolve.
- Enfamil Infant uses non-GMO ingredients (not genetically modified.)
- Enfamil Infant is slightly higher in Vitamin D which is needed for calcium absorption. (There is 75IU in Enfamil Infant and 60IU in Enfamil Gentlease per 5oz.)
- Enfamil Infant includes a prebiotic immune blend shown to support the baby’s immune system.
- Parents say the Enfamil Infant formula tastes better due to the Human Milk Oligosaccharides (not actually from human milk,) and some babies don’t really like Gentlease for its taste.
Get Enfamil Infant here
Get Enfamil Gentlease here
When it comes to the Enfamil Newborn vs Gentlease formulas, the price differences are virtually non-existent.
|Enfamil Infant||Enfamil Gentlease|
|Price per ounce||$1.25/oz||$1.40/oz|
Non-GMO Formula vs Regular Formula?
GMO stands for “genetically modified organism” and means that some ingredients may have been genetically engineered. (For example, some plants are genetically modified to withstand certain weather conditions or repel pests.)
Even though eating GMO foods has not been shown to affect our health or our genes, some people still have their concerns.
There’s also an ethical debate when it comes to genetically engineering our foods that can sway your decision. For example, the European Union requires special labels for GMO foods to help consumers make informed choices.
When it comes to Enfamil newborn formulas, Enfamil Infant is classified as GMO-free while Enfamil Gentlease is not.
Newborn Feeding Tips to Reduce Gas and Spit-Up.
- Burp your baby after every 2oz of formula or as needed
- Let the formula settle after shaking to reduce air bubbles
- Choose a slow-flow nipple so that your newborn isn’t drinking too fast (and swallowing air.)
- Let your baby lie comfortably against you, and use feeding as a bonding experience.
- Reduce how much they have per serving and let them have breaks to digest.
- Don’t be alarmed by spit-up. Small amounts are perfectly normal.
Liquid vs. Powder Infant Formula
Both Enfamil Infant and Gentlease newborn formulas can be bought as liquid or powder.
Buying powder formula is much cheaper, and offers the same nutritional value from day one. However, doctors and nurses will often recommend that formula-fed newborns start with liquid. Mostly because you can’t “screw it up.”
- You won’t introduce any contaminants while mixing
- There won’t be any clumps.
- Less shaking – means less air bubbles – means less gas and fussiness.
But the cost of liquid formula is a pretty big deal-breaker, so in our household we switched to powder as soon as we felt confident that we could.
How to Prepare Newborn Formula (Enfamil)
If you’re buying liquid Enfamil formula, you barely need to do anything.
Just pour the formula into a sterilized bottle, or better yet, buy the ready-to-serve bottles with nipples.
Mixing the Enfamil powder formula is easy too.
- Wash your hands and sterilize the bottle.
- Add room-temperature water to bottle
- Add powder with the provided scoop. Add 1 scoop for every 2oz of water (or every 60ml.)
- Shake the formula and ensure there are no clumps.
- Squeeze the top of the nipple while shaking the bottle so that the powder doesn’t get pushed up while mixing.
- If there are lots of bubbles, let the formula settle before feeding.
Where Should I Buy Enfamil Baby Formula?
(As a personal preference, we don’t buy infant formula online unless it’s directly from the manufacturer or through a reputable online grocer. There are no specific red flags, but we don’t want to risk contaminated or counterfeit products.)
If I’m shopping online I tend to buy my Enfamil from Walmart or other big-name grocers. They have the best prices, I generally qualify for free delivery, and should I need to return something – it’s completely hassle-free.
You could also buy directly from Enfamil which ensures:
- You’re buying your infant formula directly from the manufacturer
- You can get 10% off if you subscribe to get your baby formula regularly (from every 2 weeks to every 8 weeks.)
- They do price-matching
- They’ll send you samples and coupons.
The best way to get Enfamil coupons is to sign up with their Enfamil Family Beginnings program that will send you $400 in coupons, samples, and deals overtime.
Enfamil Newborn vs Gentlease FAQ
What’s the difference between Gentlease and Newborn Enfamil?
Enfamil Gentlease is formulated for fussy babies. It’s designed to be easier to digest, cause less gas, and less spit-up. The Enfamil Infant formula is great if your baby is not fussy after eating.
Is Enfamil Gentlease good for newborns?
Yes, Enfamil Gentlease is great for newborns. It’s formulated to be easier to digest, cause less gas and less spit-up while offering a source of Omega-3 DHA and a similar nutritional formula compared to Gentlease Infant.
Which Enfamil is best for newborns?
If your baby is not fussy after feeding, go with the Enfamil Infant formula which offers a slightly higher Vitamin D content, a prebiotic blend, and is non-GMO. If your baby has gas and spit-up from formula, Enfamil Gentlease is a great alternative.
Final Verdict on Enfamil Infant vs Gentlease
In the battle of the two Enfamils, we choose Enfamil Infant because it has a higher Vitamin D content and prebiotics. It’s also non-GMO, and some moms swear it tastes better.
However, if you’re convinced that baby formula is causing excessive gas, spit-up, and fussiness, we’re more than happy to recommend Enfamil Gentlease as it’s designed to be more easily digested, and has virtually the same nutritional composition and price point as Enfamil Infant.